May 28, 2008

Just a Thought

Before I was a mom I didn’t think I could get so happy over a simple grin, I never held a sleeping baby just because I didn’t want to put him down. I never spoke baby or baby gadget. I never thought a wet and drooley kiss could be so sweet.
Before I was a mom I never knew the bond between a mother and her child could be so strong, I never felt my heart break into a million pieces when I couldn’t stop the hurt. I never tripped over toys or made up the words to a lullaby.
Before I was a mom I never I had never changed so many dirty diapers or ever imagined sniffing one :)I had never been puked on, chewed on, Peed on, or had my hair pulled on by tiny fingers with out thinking of it as a normal occurrence.
Before I was a mom I didn’t realize how beautiful “mama” could sound. I stayed up late and slept in as long as I wanted. I never got up every 10 minutes in the middle of the night just to make sure that everything was alright.
Before I was a mom I never worried so much. I always changed my clothes when they were stained and I would talk on the phone for hours. I would take 20 minute showers and my legs were always shaved.
Before I was a mom I never worried if the coffee table had sharp edges and never realized how exciting crawling could be. I never gave a second thought about immunizations and don’t recall being so frustrated with doctors.
Before I was a mom I never knew something so small could affect my life so completely. I never imagined being able to love my child so much. I didn’t know I was capable of feeling so much before I was a mom.
My life has changed there’s no doubt, but I wouldn’t have it any other way!

8 comments:

Josh and Tiff said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Josh and Tiff said...

hey!! i'm glad you wrote... send me your email address on facebook so that I can email you the instructions for changing the background. You can give me your email on here, i just don't know if you want everyone to see it :) it's kind of confusing at first, but once you do the initial step it's super easy to change. hope all is going well, little tyson is so cute!!

Unknown said...

That made my heart smile. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

PS..."Robbie" is actually Kara.

Its All Good Ya'll said...

It is so nice to hear that I am not the only hairy-legged, stained shirt, bum sniffing, crazy lady out there! Isn't it the greatest thing to be MOM! Seriously, I loved your post!

Anonymous said...

Sweet Shantel - as tears run down my cheeks I feel so grateful for you. thank you for taking the time to write that and I pray you have it written in his journal, your journal - somewhere because that post is too precious to lose.
I will add that before I was a mom I couldn't have dreamed up sweeter daughter-in-laws for my sons.
I love you!

Me and My Boys said...

Hey guys, so my mom said that you sent her a e-mail about your blog, your little one is so cute! it's fun to see pics. we started one too so I'm trying to find family! love ya
Lopez FAmily

Anonymous said...

You have touched my heart with your thoughts, no one can ever explain to someone who has never been a mom what it might be like, but you have touched on it perfectly. After experiencing these exact feelings 8 times over and even stretching them over into becoming a grandma, these feelings of joy and love will never go away or ever become old. I too would never change a thing about my children or my grandchildren! You are such a sweet daughter-in-law. I love watching you and Tyson grow into becoming wonderful parents. It has truly been a joy for me to watch your excitement and love as you grow as a family! Love Joni